JACKSON CARIGNAN '16
“Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure.” -Confucious
The game involves preparation. Like most fields, it requires consideration before approach. Much like the athletes we see, suite clad dodging reporters in big headphones, we need music to find a beginning. Lately personalized music has become the central approach to approach. However, speakers are fun too man. Sometimes we all need to hear that one song you saw on your homies’ Pinterest played again. Pregames can vary in size and shape, but they all seem to revolve around the same idea, getting on that level. Whatever your means are, meditation or bowling, we use whatever it takes to find the proper mindset for the road ahead. There are 24 program houses at school, 4 program halls, and 5 fraternity houses, all pouring Fanta Orange and grain alcohol into a bucket right now. The sheer vastness of options between the early hours of your night can make ones head spin (trying to get hyperbolic here) and refuse to even partake.
However, with the help of Michael Roth’s secret police, I have managed to single-handedly bug every living area and have spent the final weeks of our semester sequestered in the seventh floor of Olin, listening. With my team of Middletown high school interns (unpaid of course) we have crunched the numbers and tried to give you the definitive Vassar Pregame Guide, complete with all of the hits, b-sides, and Sage the Gemini mixes you’ve been waiting to hear.
We begin our journey with Eclectic, whose consistent hosting of music would lead one to expect that new beat. Social media coordinator and Head Easymac Chef Sam sent over an assortment of new electronic, rap, and rnb for your listening ears. Also a shoutout to Minneapolis based Spooky Black, a new pregame favorite across campus.
1. Dessert – Player
2. Young Thug – Stoner (Evian Christ Remix)
3. Spooky Black - Ready (ft. Bobby Raps)
4. Denzel Curry – Threatz [Promnite Edition]
5. Le1f – Sup
6. MssingNo – Brandyflip
7. Future Brown – Wanna Party (ft. Tink)
8. Chris Brown – Loyal
9. Future – We Run the Streets (ft. Yung Scooter)
10. Yung Thug – Treasure (ft. Zuse)
Still on ‘college row’ or whatever people call it, stands Psi U. Home to a large collection of varied playlists, but for sake of posterity, we chose to ask Jaime, the frats president and all around good dude. Jaime’s picks are about as varied as they get, with nods to bossanova and bubbly pop artist LIZ, Mr. Carmack and Elliot Smith, and even some Gorillaz to remember walking home from school.
1. Astrud Gilberto – Berimbau
2. Mr. Carmack – ryukushima
3. Gorillaz – Kids With Guns
4. Evil Needle – Falling Leaves
5. LIZ – Y2K
6. suicideyear – Hurry
7. Galcher Lustwerk – 216
8. Sage the Gemini – Gas Pedal (Meth Dad Remix)
9. Elliot Smith – Miss Misery
10. Lindsay Lowend – Sass Mouth
88 Home is not a program house, however my intelligence has suggested that their pregame playlists usually get the job done. Home to the band Grand Cousin, who I’ve heard makes music, the house attracts such regulars as Chance the Rapper. Eternal prefrosh Henry mixes the 80’s post punk with LA beatmakers and many more nugs.
1. Shawn Lee’s Ping Pong Orchestra – Rose
2. Serge Gainsbourg – Aeroplanes (Readymade’s Bold Mix)
3. Outkast – She Live In My Lap
4. Nobody – Wake Up and Smell The Millenium
5. Slick Rick – Street Talkin
6. Happy Mondays – 24 Hour Party People
7. Tom Tom Club – Genius Of Love
8. Scene Creamers – One Stone
9. Connie Francis – Lipstick on Your Collar
10. David Bowie - 1984
Moving up the hill slightly to the residence hall known as Westco. Westco has a unique voice in the community, as one of the only residence halls with an application. Head ichthyologist Blaise also hipped us to some new music as well as that stuff your grandparents got turnt to.
1. ANY Michael Jackson
2. Problem – D2B (ft. Bad Lucc & The Homegirl)
3. Iggy Azalea – Fancy
4. Isaiah Rashad
5. Sage the Gemini – Gas Pedal
6. Breath Carolina – Blackout
7. R. Kelly – Ignition
8. Britney Spears – Toxic
9. Frank Sinatra
Another nod to Wesleyan’s Greek Life is Chi Psi, whose pregrame playlists merge 2 AM Ultra sets and MTV 2 Sucker Free Sundays. Head of marketing and fire safety Jonathan sent us this.
1. MKTO – Classic
2. Tiesto – Escape Me
3. Sammy Adams – All Night Longer
4. Zedd – Stars Come Out
5. Beyonce – Drunk In Love
6. Prety Ricky – Grind On Me
7. Natasha Beddingfield – Love Like This
Lastly we venture across the pond, to get a taste of the перед игрой or the pregame music that Russian house can offer. Assistant crochet maker Molly sent this to fill your Dubra cup.
1. Hannah Diamon – Pink & Blue
2. Let’s Dance – David Bowie
3. Robyn – Crash & Burn Girl
4. Miguel – Do You (Cashmere Cat Remix)
5. Gwen Stefani – Yummy
6. Peaches – Fuck the Pain Away
7. John Grant – Black Belt
8. Tyler the Creator – Domo23
9. Sage the Gemini – Gas Pedal
10. Brooke Candy – Opulence
The various ways people prepare can say a lot about them. This preparation must always reflect a certain personal preference amongst a group of individuals. However, let us not forget that we should probably leave the house, its already almost 1. Stay turnt world.